Magento, an Adobe Company recently released version 2.4.0 of Magento Commerce and Magento Open Source. The new Magento 2.4.0 comes with over 100 new fixes to the core code, 30 security enhancements, and by default enablement of two-factor authentication in the Admin.
Let’s have a look at the highlights of this release:
Two-factor Authentication (2FA)
2FA is now enabled by default and can’t be disabled. This authentication will make it harder for malicious users to access the Admin without authorization.
Content Security Policy (CSP) Improvements
Magento Framework now has the SecureHtmlRenderer available in .phtml templates for script tags and whitelisting of inline style support. These scripts and styles were not permitted with the default configuration of CSP.
Magento 2.4.0 introduces support for
- PHP 7.4 – Magento 2.4.0 supports PHP 7.4. All testing of this new Magento version is performed on PHP 7.4. Though you can install Magento 2.4.x with PHP 7.3 using PHP 7.4 is recommended. PHP 7.1 and 7.2 are deprecated after this release.
- Elasticsearch 7.6.x – With the release of Magento 2.4, the latest version of Elasticsearch, Elasticsearch 7.x becomes the default catalog search engine for both Magento Commerce and Open Source. Elasticsearch version 2.x code is removed, and Elasticsearch 5.x is deprecated. However, Elasticsearch v6.8 is still supported in Magento 2.3.x and 2.4.0.
Also, the MySQL catalog search engine is removed from Magento 2.4 and replaced with Elasticsearch as the default search engine.
- MySQL 8.0. – Magento 2.4.x supports the version 8.x of MySQL. MySQL 5.7 is supported for Magento 2.4.x but you can’t host Magento 2.4.x with a MySQL 5.6 database.
The Magento 2.4 release contains enhancements to core quality and modules, including Catalog, Customer Account, CMS, Order Approval Workflow feature for B2B, Import, Inventory Management, Cart and Checkout.
Magento 2.4 introduces a new way of invalidating customer sections data to avoid a known local storage issue while section.xml invalidations are active. Also, with multiple optimizations to Redis performance, Magento 2.4 will minimize the number of queries to Redis – performed on each Magento request.
Magento Functional Testing Framework
MFTFv3.0.0 will allow creating custom actions beyond the test framework, nested assertion syntax, sub-folder in test modules, schema updates for test entities, and static check to check and report references.
New Media Gallery
Magento 2.4 Media Gallery will offer a new, searchable interface to search, filter, and sort images up to 30x faster. Merchants can also use this new media tool for evaluating storefront image usage.
Adobe Stock Integration v2.0
Merchants will now be able to find any Adobe Stock preview image in their Media Gallery. This will reduce the number of steps required for licensing any stock preview image.
Removal of Third-party Payment Methods as Core Integration
With Magento 2.4.0 release, the payment method integrations for Authorize.Net, eWay, CyberSource, and Worldpay have been removed from the core code.
- Improvement in performance of the catalog_product_price re-index operation for bundle products.
- Prompt a message when products in the mini cart become out-of-stock before checkout. Once the out-of-stock item is removed, Magento will display the Proceed to Checkout button, which was not available in previous Magento versions.
- You can now duplicate and save all CMS pages.
- Customers subscribed as a guest to newsletters are no longer unsubscribed even after registering for a new account.
Every Magento release is intended to make your e-commerce more secure and perform better. Upgrade your Magento store to Magento 2.4.0 offer a more intuitive user experience and increase your e-commerce sales.